Tuesday, November 28, 2006

2 More Hours

I just managed to get 2 more hours in on the Bokur. This model is turning out to be one of those rare models that turns out to be very fun to paint. Often I get so engrossed in finishing the model that I don't notice whether I'm actually enjoying the act of painting. This guy though, he's a blast. Lots of details that are large enough to actually feel like I'm doing a halfway decent job of painting. I've already got 4 hours on this guy and it's looking like I'll probably need another 3-4 hours to finish him up. On the plus side though, all the pinning and basing is already done and he just needs some final gluing at the end. For now though, it's time for sleep.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Next In Line

Started the Ogryn Bokur tonight. Got about 2 hours on it so far. It's amazing how much more painting it takes to do medium and large bases. I'm guessing probably 7 hours or so for this guy.

A couple days ago I posted pics of Alexia on the privateer forums for feedback and have definately learned that using inks to shade is just not the right plan anymore. I'm definately better off working on my shading skills. The real problem I encountered was that after using inks to create an overall shade effect, there's no way to properly match regular paint color properly.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Ashlynn Finished

I seem to be on a good roll lately. Ashlynn took about 4.5 hours to complete. Parts of her are good and parts are pretty mediocre. I really hate painting faces. I've decided I need another Series 7 brush that's smaller than my existing #2 to do those details. On the plus side I got some additional blending practice in which worked out decently well. The model is pretty small which made it harder to shade, but I feel like I did a better job than my previous average and it didn't take that much effort.

My picture quality is still suffering, primarily due to lighting and focal length issues. However, here's the pics.

I've also created a photobucket album for all my pics. I'll upload more as I get unlazy. The link is on the side.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Alexia Finished!

Close to 6 hours of painting time. She turned out ok. The cloak is definately not what I was originally planning, but it worked out ok enough. I can always paint another one I suppose. I tried a tiny bit of OSL (Object Source Lighting) on the sword and runes, but I suspect I need alot more blending practice before I can do that effectively. Overall I'm happy though. My inner perfectionist is disappointed but hey, she's paintined and ready for the case.

I think I've finally got a photo setup that is workable for me now. I'm also able to use Gimp well enough to resize and color correct images. I'm using a different camera than before that my Dad provided for me. Eventually I'll do the research on cameras and make a final decision on one. Next post, after the camera batter recharges, I'll post pics of Alexia's Risen, Thralls, and the whole mob together.

On to Ashlynn!

Friday, November 24, 2006

Put a couple more hours into Alexia. The face was a challenge but it looks not terribly mediocre given my lack of experience with doing faces. The holiday weekend has severely cut into my painting time so far, but tomorrow promises to be better. Probably another 2-3 hours left on her.

Experimented a bit with color correction on the pictures I took of the Nomad. Also took an outdoor picture just to compare with. I'm feeling kinda lazy right now though so I'll post them later.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Nomad Finished

8.5 hours roughly. I actually finished this a few days ago. The picture quality still needs work, for which I will probably try some outdoor shots today.

Started Alexia last night. She'll probably come out pretty mediocre, but at least she's geting painted. I'll post a pic of her and her entire host once she's done.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006


My merc list won. Amazingly enough, the Hammerfalls didn't seem useless. In fact they performed admirably. My force consisted of Ashlynn with a Vanguard, Gorman with a Bokur, Hammerfalls with a Driller, and a short-staffed unit of Devil Dogs. All things considered, the Hammerfalls were well worth the points, but the Driller turned into an unaffective distraction for my opponent. I was facing a Karchev list with 2 Devastators, 10 Kommandos, and a Manhunter. There was alot of luck on my part though, and twice Ashlynn should have been whacked if the dice had rolled even close to average for damage.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Photo References

Smoke: 1

Fire: 1