Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Hungering Darkness

I sort of painted this for Iron Painter round 3, but honestly this last couple weeks was a mess for me personally and found myself trying to get something done quickly. I also just was vexed by this model a bit and ran into a couple challenges while painting it. Honestly I could do a long write up, but I'm unfortunately exhausted and just getting pics posted tonight and moving on.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017


Speed painted, but with a caveat. I did 1 per night, and completed each in roughly 80 minutes of painting (primed to done). The third one took a little longer just due to surface area. They were an interesting practice though. For each one I started by picking 3 colors as my base tonal palette, and then I proceeded to channel Matt DiPietro to #PaintBravely. I just started laying down paint over the whole model working back and forth and adding in colors as I went. I didn't focus on one area too long. In the end I found that I really enjoyed the process of painting more than normal. I wasn't thinking as much as feeling my way through which color I should use.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Iron Painter 2017: Round 2: Last Stand of the Waterbending Brothers

Here's my round 2 entry for Iron Painter. The theme was "Water, Water, Everywhere..." and I put together this idea for it. These are waterbending brothers, standing back to back, fighting off an unseen enemy. I'm pretty tired, otherwise I would do a lot more write up of this. The entry was due tonight and I just got it in under the wire. If people would like to see WIP pics or know more about how I did anything here, just leave a comment.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Hooded Rider

Bigger project than I originally thought it would be. Not my best effort, but I like how the overall "red horseman of war" thing worked out.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Iron Painter 2017: Round 1: OSL - Crooked Man

So this was my entry for round 1 of the Wyrd Iron Painter competition this year. You can read all about round 1 here. What follows in this post is just a bunch of random thoughts about my entry and the competition in general. No offense is meant to anyone, and none of this is meant as whining. Just reflection.

My entry was a pretty straightforward project. I picked the Crooked Man since it had a very easy pose to work with. I also chose to put it on one of the new Wyrd sculpted bases, which worked out nicely. I did the project SketchStyle for very obvious reasons. I'm pretty happy with my end result, although there are definitely parts that could have been done better. Going with a white light was probably not the best choice in hindsight, but it was a good learning experience. The model itself though was very fun to paint, and I did enjoy it as a project. SketchStyle is still not a great choice for me for competition quality yet, but this project helped me improve in that regard.

Online-only painting contests are tricky things. There were obviously a bunch of really good entries in this competition. I placed #53 out of 175 that actually submitted entries. The stats are all on the Wyrd forums. That puts me in the bronze tier. The tough thing about these sorts of online-only competitions is that voting becomes very obfuscated and getting feedback even moreso.

One thing I realized too late was that my photo quality could have been better. Instead of multiple angles, I should have just focused on a single photo. There's places where the photo washes out the colors a bit which is really unfortunate. I saw plenty of models where the painting quality was probably not as good, but the photos made them look much more flattering. For my next entry, I will make sure to spend

I noticed that almost all of the gold and silver tier entries were dioramas to some degree. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it does sort of reinforce to me that I wasn't aiming for complete competition level by sticking to a properly based model. I will definitely say, the #1 place entry was fantastic.

At this point, and given the week that I've had, I'm having a really hard time mustering the enthusiasm to continue the competition. The rankings of various entries was a little surprising to me. Still though, my goal was never to try to win, or even place in the gold/silver finals. I really just want to make it through to the end of the competition without a DNF. Hopefully I can pull that off. Of course, if I have another crazy life week this coming week like I had last week, then I'm screwed.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Resource: Base Sizes for 40k

Just saving this link for myself really, for when I start painting my Grey Knights.

Basing Guidelines for Warhammer 40,000 via Dakka Dakka.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

From the Desk: Weekend Roundup #145 (the last)

The last roundup...

So I haven't done a "weekend roundup" post for ages, and for good reason. My wife has been really sick for a few months now. Things are getting better now, and I am still painting. However one of the things I realized as my time got more pressed was that updating this blog is just not a super high priority for me. Doing weekly posts was once very helpful, but it had become a chore. So I'm setting that aside and will continue to just post finished works or other random things. Pictured here is a slightly staged view of my painting desk. The projects are the ones in progress.

Tomorrow, Wyrd's Iron Painter competition begins which I have bravely signed up for. I don't expect to win, but I am aiming to just finish all the rounds. This will obviously take a lot of my painting attention, so hence even more reason not to put too much time into the blog.

One last note: I am posting random painting progress on Instagram when it comes up, so if you just want pictures and sound bite updates from me, that's the best place to follow for the foreseeable future.

Total games played this year: 19