Thursday, May 31, 2012

From the Desk: KublaCon, London, and Distractions

Hooray! Another KublaCon has come and gone. I only managed to get one entry this year (more on that later). It was McBain, and he placed a bronze in the masterclass level. I'm actually really stoked about this for a couple reasons. First, I was only hoping to place at all and had no designs on a silver. Second is that the judging was really rough this year, and there were a number of entries (especially in the open category) that didn't place at all despite being solid pieces. So all things considered, this was a win for me. You can read more about the KublaCon painting events on Facebook.

In addition to the painting competition, I got great feedback on McBain from Mr Justin of Secret Weapon. It was mostly around improving the color quality of the basing and using more color modulation to draw the attention to the face more. Overall though they said that the technical painting aspects were solid which pleased me quite a bit.

As to why I haven't been posting much, it's mainly due to work travel. This also prevented me from getting a second model completed. I was in London, Paris and southern California. I've been living out of suitcases for about 3 weeks prior to KublaCon and that was a severe crushing to any painting opportunity. On the plus side, I got to visit London and Paris for the first time and it was a real delight.

Lastly, I have to fess up to getting Diablo 3, and it's eating a large amount of my painting time. I aspire to overcome this addiction and better control the amount of time I spend playing it, but I'm very aware of my own shortcomings when it comes to controlling my obsession to finish a game. However I'm also starting to plan next year's painting entry and that might shake me out of my addiction (I hope).

1 comment:

Maxus said...

What do we need to do to make this painting thing happen?