Sunday, January 24, 2016

From the Desk: Weekend Roundup #106

So very very tired.

So first up is progress on Eiryss2. She's my last remaining mercenary model to paint so I was eager to get her started. However what I discovered was that it's a really nice sculpt. A little challenging for sure, but absolutely gorgeous detail. I'm spending more time on it than I had anticipated but enjoying every minute of it. She won't turn out as a competition level model by any stretch, but I am going to use it as an opportunity to paint to a higher standard than I have been lately.

Next is my progress on the Sacral Vault. This kit is a real beast. I mean seriously, it has a ton of parts to it. However the real tricky part is getting everything prepped for priming. I want to paint the two pushing gators separately, and of course I got a Secret Weapon Bonefields base for this model since it seemed appropriate. And that means all those parts need to be separate for the painting process. This means I needed to have a plan for how to handle the assembly work once the parts are painted and yet still have everything come together nice and stable. To handle that, I got everything carefully positioned on the base to my liking, then used some painter's tape to secure the Vault to the base. After removing the two pushers temporarily, I turned the Vault and base upside down and drilled holes for 3 pins that go through the base and into the wheels. Then I repositioned the pushes and drilled pins for them too. You can see how all those pins stick out the bottom of the base in the next picture. Those pins are obviously not glued in yet (I'll do that later) but I wanted to make sure everything test fit nicely. At this point I basically just need to finish all the tiny pieces, which is something like 40 candles, skulls and such.

Beyond that, it hasn't been very busy on the painting desk this week. Finishing the Black 13th gets me a bit closer on my pCaine tier list target, but that isn't going to get finished anytime soon. I'm pretty committed to getting my mercs and minions wrapped up before working on anything significant for Cygnar.
I'm also trying really hard to hold back from picking up any new models for now. There's something working on my side though: My LGS is opening another store even closer to where I live! Soon there will be an extra-local LGS. In an effort to show my support for that store, I'm holding back on any purchases until they open. Of course once they do open, then the backlog of stuff I want (Ace, Blightbringer) will instantly get purchased I imagine, which will ruin my fully painted status for Legion.

Cygnar Paint Taget (tier 4):
pCaine - done
Ace - unowned
Reliant - done
2 Gun Mage Captains - done
Gun Mages + UA (1st) - done
Gun Mages + UA (2nd) - assembled
2 Hunters - done
Black 13th - done
Tempest Blazers - done

No comments: