Sunday, January 01, 2017

2016 Wrap Up and 2017 Resolutions

[Disclaimer: This post contains fluffy, introspective nonsense... Just like last year's did.]

2016 was a very good year for hobby time. Despite all the other suck that happened in 2016, I had a generally great year personally.

Last year's goals:
1) Paint arcs on all my Legion models - Success! Piece of cake.
2) Close out DZC - Success! Got this done early and it felt great.
3) Get my Cygnar collection up to 95% painted - Success! I'm actually at 100% painted.
4) Play 52 games this year - Success! Counting both WMH and Malifaux I played 56 games.
5) Attend 1 convention - Success! Lock & Load again of course.
6) Paint a Batman model for my comics fixer - Fail! I got it assembled, but not even primed.
7) Play tighter games - Success! Hard to actually measure, but I feel good about this.
8) Pack away old models - Success! All the space I made in my case got filled by Cygnar though.
9) Archive selected models - Success! Actually there weren't that many, but it's done.
10) Read another book about painting - Success! Finished A Brilliant History of Color in Art. Great read.

A huge highlight was really the 56 games I played. As a working father it can be really hard to get games in. Honestly one of the best parts of playing was starting a Malifaux campaign. I have been absolutely loving the Malifaux campaign and I'm looking forward to plenty more of it.

Models painted last year:
Cygnar: 45
Malifaux: 24
Legion: 12
Minions: 8
DZC: 7
Mercs: 3
Convergence: 1
Looking at it from a size perspective (excluding DZC):
Small based: 57
Medium based: 14
Large based: 21
Huge based: 1

So not quite as prolific this year, painting an even 100 models, compared to 130 last year. The big difference being that this year I tackled more solos and especially Malifaux whereas last year there was a massive amount of Cygnar painting that filled the ranks. I did however build more terrain this year (6 additional pieces, one of which didn't get it's own post).

Goals for next year:
1) Paint the Batman model for my comics fixer - Again, gonna try to get this done.
2) Play 52 games - Again, great goal to have every year.
3) Read 2 books about painting - Books good.

My goals this year are thinner than last year mostly because I've got some family situation stuff going on that will preclude me from traveling much. Plus my work situation has changed (due to a promotion) so I'm purposefully not setting a bunch of goals for myself here. What I do want to do is really enjoy painting again.

And that's it. Here's to a fantastic 2016 and hopes for a great 2017. Cheers to all!

1 comment:

Dean Vuckovich said...

Happy New Year!