Monday, March 05, 2012
From the Desk: Stuck
Once again I find myself posting about the lack of completion of projects. Oh there's plenty of progress, but nothing completed. I'm leaving tomorrow for another work trip which is going to further cut into any movement toward completion for a couple more days as well. But, in the mean time, here's a few updates. First is McBain, who is coming along nicely. I had originally intended to just speed paint him, but McBain demands more attention than that. So he's getting a fair amount of painting attention actually. The face turned out quite well which has me really energized to do a good job all over. I also need to get crackin on an appropriate base for him. Next is my Gator Posse. These guys are getting close. I needed a way to distinguish them so I used different colors on each of their spears. Speaking of those colors, I decided to incorporate a "Mardi Gras" motif into them by using purple, yellow and green for any sort of decorative colors. The odd-gator-out in this case got red. I like these colors together with the albino theme so far and I hope it'll work out well in the longer term. This somewhat unintelligible shot is of the blank bases for my Gators. I bought a bunch of blank round-lipped bases from Secret Weapon Miniatures, drilled holes in them, and stuck magnets in them. This way I can still magnetize them for easy transport, but don't have to do it after I've finished the model. I managed to add a magnet to the Bull Snapper after the fact by doing some very careful drilling and sticking a magnet in. I had originally not intended to, but it just really struck me as dangerous to try transporting around a bunch of loose angry gators. And finally, a random shot. I find myself emptying a lot of paint pots lately. Some of these are being replaced by design because they are old. Others are actually getting emptied. And still a few others were an experiment. 2 of these were part of that experiment. I got some empty dropper bottles and transferred some P3 black and white paint into them, as well as making some neutral gray from a 50/50 mix of P3 black and white. Doing this was tedious, but has already turned out to be quite valuable. I think I might do a few more of these for specifically useful colors. Well, time to finish packing and perhaps get a little painting in before I go.