Sunday, March 25, 2012

RtC: McMore McBain

No pictures tonight cause it's late and I'm tired. But I spent a little more time on McBain. Last night I also took him over for my buddies to look at and give me feedback. I also took along the Gorten I got from DeadDogg, and my WarHog from last year's Kubla competition. The whole idea was to have points of comparison to work with and really put a super critical eye on McBain. The feedback was super helpful. Here's the highlights:
  • Turning the model upside-down revealed some small unpainted places which need cleaning up. There were also unshaded sections of the armor on the under sides.
  • The metal on the sword needs more work. I'm debating throwing just a splash of hue into it somehow.
  • Lots of stuff was good, like the face and the base.
  • As a point of comparison, they had a hard time deciding between Gorten and McBain. There were good points on both models. This comparison was actually super helpful. Things like the face on Gorten is awesome, but almost too dramatic of shading.
  • A visiting "uninitiated" person commented that she liked the WarHog better because it was larger and easier to see what was going on. However an interesting comment revealed that the WarHog also had places that weren't exactly intuitive what was going on. Admittedly, the WarHog had more experimentation going on, whereas McBain is focused on skills I've already practiced a lot.
  • Adding battle damage would ruin the story going on. It's McBain! He's a badass! His armor isn't damaged because he kicks everyone's asses before they get a chance to hurt him.
There was more, but those are some of the key highlights. Doing this sort of no-holds-barred critique is really helpful.

And on to the remaining to-do list:
  • More work on the sword *sigh*
  • More work on screws
  • Cleanup around edges of glow areas (grill/sword)
  • Left knee pad needs better highlighting/shading
Honestly, I'm getting close to the point where I need to just seal it and call it done. Or at the very least, set it aside and wait a couple weeks before touching it again. Preferably after working on something else for a bit.

1 comment:

Maxus said...

My opinion: Fix the spots where you saw unpainted from an upside down point of view. Then set it aside. Put a cover over it so you cannot see it, and come back at it with fresh eyes.