Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Janis

These are my first finished DZC (Dropzone Commander) models I've finished! Painting the 10mm scale is a real challenge I have to say. I really wanted to paint these to a higher quality but honestly it's pretty tricky to work with them for a number of reasons. Since I haven't done one of these in a long time, I'm going to take the time to do a proper painting analysis.

What worked well:
* Having a plan - If I learned one thing from my Cygnar army, it's that having a plan before starting an army is a massive help. I spent a fair amount of time before starting to have a plan, and especially experimenting on test models.
* Using the airbrush - I'm getting more and more comfortable with it, and especially at diagnosing problems along the way. Using it here to create the boxed pattern was both fun and fairly unique.
* Not going too crazy - I wanted to try using techniques I don't normally do and this definitely worked out well, but I didn't push too far out beyond what I already know.
* Using custom printed decals - Again, something new for me, and it went pretty well. I'm glad I used them to do the designations on them. The medium has certain limitations due to how they work so using black lettering sort of aimed my paint scheme towards a lighter base tone.

What could have been better:
* Spending more time - I could have easily spent way more time painting these, but honestly, painting at this scale is just really challenging for me still.
* No base - Seriously! No base?? You've got to be kidding me. I rubbed so much paint off while handling them during the painting process.
* Gloss but no matte - I sealed with only gloss and no additional matte coat. It makes them shiny which I'm not super happy with, but I sort of had to keep it that way to preserve the armored look.

Summary:
There's more coming. My goal is to get most of my army painted in short order and then get back to WM/H. I've got a wide variety of types and sizes of models for DZC to paint so this will definitely be a learning experience. It's a refreshing break though.

No comments: