Friday, March 13, 2009

Reckoner

Well, the jack factory rolls on. This big boy is a very significant lump of metal. I actually reverted to painting in pieces on this one, leaving the arms separate, so that it would be a bit easier to manage the weight of the model. Again, not super interesting to paint personally, but there were some parts that I did enjoy like the giant mace.

I actually had this mostly done in just a couple nights' work, but it took me a few extra days to do the last touches, basing and sealing due to my work/life balance challenges lately.

Things that went well:
* I did the metals first which actually made things much easier. I could be sloppy and fast with the washes and not worry about messing up the whites. This sped up the work noticably.
* Painting in parts was a huge use here. I only left the arms off but that was plenty help.

Things that could have been better:
* Battle damage would probably have been a nice addition.
* I feel like the reds are a tad flat. I probably could have deepened the shading closer to black to make it pop more.

Well, nothing else fancy to say right now. This weekend I'm going to hit a Steamroller4 tournament at my LGS for the first time in ages. I'll try to post some pics of the event.

3 comments:

Deacis said...

What list are you going to bring to the event?

John said...

Thats a beautiful clean look you have there. What process did you use on the metallic parts, e.g., the Menoth crosses on the shoulders

Scott said...

Thanks! I debated whether to add battle damage like I did for the Redeemer, but I think this one looks good with that "fresh from the factory" look.

For the iron I used VMC Oily Steel washed with P3 Armor Wash + VMC Black, then highlighed with P3 Cold Steel and then again with P3 Quick Silver.

For the bronzes I use a much longer process. First I base with Oily Steel, then cover that with VMC Brass. Then I do washes of GW Chestnut ink, then P3 Turquoise ink, then selected shading with VMC Black. After that I highlight back up with VMC Brass and then I do small point highlights using P3 Quick Silver. I find that the last small highlights of silver really help the bronzes to pop better.