Friday, May 06, 2016

Battle Report: Stryker2 vs Morghoul1

Breaking through Master practice fatigue with something different.

My list: Stryker3 (tier 4), Stormwall, Ol Rowdy, Storm Lances (5), Tempest Blazers (5), Laddermore, Stormblade Captain.

My opponent: Morghoul, Marketh, Krea, Karn, Bronzeback, Gladiator, Reptile Hound, Shaman, Agonizer, Willbreaker, Beast Handlers (4), Nihilators (10).

Scenario: Close Quarters, 60 minute death clock.

I won initiative and opted to go first. My list makes for some crazytown jamming. With the tier bonus, I had the Stormwall 1" off the centerline at the end of my first turn, with everything else very close to the centerline as well. From there though things got tricky. Nihilators made tough rolls all over the place and a couple of key ones blocked my ability to really get work done with the Stormwall. There was also a key forest that Karn and Morghoul were able to hide behind that kept my Storm Lances from really delivering the hurt. I very much ended up running out of time and clocking myself due to a number of factors, not the least of which was some environmental distractions in my house. However a lot of it was just unfamiliarity with playing heavy cavalry enough and trying to sequence Stryker3's feat and the rest of his army. We played past the clock and in the end I was able to attrition him down and eventually kill Morghoul, but I'm still marking this one down as a loss on time because I was just horrifically slow.

Lessons learned: Stryker3 is both fun, and kinda one dimensional. I definitely feel like some added practice with this particular list could be much more fun. I made a number of positioning and execution mistakes throughout the game that more practice would help with. I also feel like an important less was playing against Karn again, which is something that I routinely get surprised by.

On a side note, with all of the Mk3 spoilers getting out there, it was interesting to play this game. Specifically there were a bunch of places during the game where we found ourselves saying "man, this will be so much better in Mk3 when..." and citing some change. From things like pre-measuring, to forests, to just crazy stuff like the Agonizer. I really can't wait for Mk3 to roll out!

Games this year: 21

No comments: