Monday, September 28, 2009

The Avatar Gets a Hip Replacement

Step one is complete! I chopped the hips off of the center torso. It took a while to saw through and then file and clean up the surrounding material. Once that was done I drilled some small test holes and made sure things line up ok. Then I drilled the larger holes and put in the supports. In order to make two of them look more like pistons, I picked up some brass tubing and slid shorter pieces of them over the main pins. If you buy your brass rod at hardware or train stores, they usually have a variety of types including tubes as well. I just made sure to get ones that slid over smoothly. Note that you can't just cut the tubs with wire cutters since it will mash the tube. Once that was in place I just added a little milliput to the surrounding area to smooth things out. Despite seeming like a small step, this actually took me quite a while to do, mostly because of the sawing and dry-fitting steps.

4 comments:

Shelexie said...

I like the use of brass tubing. Please keep posting the progress pics =)

Dave said...

Nice work. I often wish I weren't so lazy go have used a (mostly) stock configuration on my Avatar. He could definitely benefit from some bulking up. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

John said...

very nice work

bluecardinal said...

I'll be following this closely and look forward to some more WIP pics. I plan on converting my Avatar as well.

I can't wait to see what you're going to do with the arms. Mine were snapped off near the shoulder.