Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sorrows

Well after what has felt like an eternity, I've finally finished painting something new. Work was absolutely kicking my ass lately, otherwise I'd have gotten these done a while ago. Now, to be honest, they aren't my best work, but the photos really seem to have come out worse than they are in real life for some unknown reason to me. Probably a problem with how skinny they are against the backdrop or something. However I don't photoshop anything anymore (cause I'm lazy), so I'm stuck with mediocre photos. Sorry out there. Anyhow, these guys were actually quite fun to paint as I opted to practice more with using washes to smooth out blending transitions and also practice using more variance of hue in my paint schemes. Overall I learned a lot and am quite happy with how they turned out.

What went well:
* Lots of color variation. I feel like I'm really starting to build a better sense of color, both in terms of when to add a different hue, and what hue to add. These have a lot of variation in the washes which gives them a much more rich and complex color scheme.
* Washes, washes, and more washes! Really, I feel better about my abilities here. On these I did some pretty rough highlighting on them and then used multiple controlled washes to smooth out the transitions which worked great.
* Themed, but varied. For these guys I decided to make them all different, yet cohesive. I kept the same sort of flowing magical mist beneath them, and the eyes and tongues are all the same, but the skin was all handled quite differently.

What could have been better:
* I could have spent more time on them. Honestly, it could have made a noticeable difference. These were half experiment and half serious.
* Better zenithal highlighting. I did a little of this, but I don't feel like I made it dramatic enough to make it obvious. It's something I'm always conscious of, but still haven't quite mastered.

Well, the good news is that this wraps up my Pandora box set for Malifaux! I'm pretty stoked to have made it this far. I'm looking forward to more Neverborn models being released that fit with her crew, but I've certainly got enough backlog to keep me busy until then. Before I close this out, I wanted to include a group shot of all three of them, just because the basing scheme really helps to bring them together as a group. Until next time, happy painting!

No comments: