Wednesday, June 05, 2013

RtC: Lylyth (Competition Version)

This last weekend I brought my recently painted Lylyth to Lock and Load 2013 for their P3 Grandmaster painting competition. I'll post more about the event overall in the next couple days, but I wanted to get this particular model posted up first.

Cramming this model in right before L&L was pretty tough. I could have easily spent more time on it. The camera makes it rough to look at compared to in-person as well. However I'm still pretty proud of this model. My goal was to paint her to 90% of my best ability. Parts of it made it, while others didn't.

What went well:
* Having a deadline - This really kept me focused and on task. I worked on the model nearly every day during those 2 weeks.
* Cloak - I'm quite happy with the results on the cloak. It has a good mix of color variation and I feel like I achieved the effect I was going for.
* Metals - This is where I felt really happy actually. I spent a fair amount of time working on them and got them just about as good as my current skills could get.
* Basing - This also went great, and I feel like the basing was well worth the effort. I even did shading on the moss!
* Hair - The hair worked out pretty well. I used a combination of techniques here and just sorta went crazy. Who knows if I'll ever reproduce it.
* Not sealing - I didn't actually seal this model. I was happy with the final effect and didn't want to take any chances.

What could have been better:
* Skin - The skin is pretty rough, even in person. I could have done a lot more work on that. The hands aren't bad, but the rest could have been much better.
* Pinning - I had a heck of a problem with the single pin coming loose. It survived the trip and judging, but if I were to ever use it for playing, I'd want to re-pin it to the base.
* Arrows - Ugh, I hate painting the fletching on arrows. Especially the ends of the arrows all bunched up. No matter what it looks unrealistic.
* Not enough time - I could have easily spent several more hours on this model, but just didn't have the time.

So what was the net result? Silver! Although I should point out that I entered this as a part of a battlegroup entry, including the Teraph, Raek and Naga that I'd painted previously. Interestingly enough this represents a time frame of almost 4 years. I painted the Raek in July of 2009. I'm really not sure what to think about that, but I'm extremely happy. I think the best part was when I was asking Matt DiPietro for feedback on my entries, both he and Meg Maples commented on how they really liked my battlegroup entry. Needless to say, I'm riding a wave of happy vibes right now.

No comments: