Thursday, January 01, 2015

2014 Wrap Up and 2015 Resolutions

[Disclaimer: This post contains fluffy, introspective nonsense... Just like last year's did.]

2014 wasn't as busy on the personal and work fronts as the previous year was, but I still had a lot of trips and then of course the holidays had a pretty big block of non-productivity.

Last year's goals:
1) Attend Lock & Load (again) - Success! Had a great time, played a ton of games, and generally really enjoyed the entire trip.
2) Enter 2 painting competitions - Success! I entered KublaCon and Lock&Load. Easy to pull this one off. I will note that I didn't place in either of them which spawned a conversation with myself that went similar to this blog post by Meg Maples.
3) Get 90% of my Malifaux collection painted - Fail! Yeah, totally got distracted by prep for Lock&Load and then starting my new Cygnar force. It was an ambitious goal to say the least.
4) Start painting my Cygnar horde - Success! This was a slam dunk. In fact I made way more progress than I anticipated I would. More on that below.
5) Close out my random few unpainted models from other factions - Fail! Again it was an ambitious goal that was demoted by other things.

This wasn't as bad of a year as last year, but still not super productive...
Models painted last year:
Cygnar: 49
Malifaux: 19
Legion: 13
Mercs: 3
Circle: 1
Or looking at it from a different perspective:
Small based: 66
Medium based: 10
Large based: 8
Huge based: 2

So this year I painted a total of 85 models compared to 42 the previous year which is a huge surge in the amount I got done In all fairness, last year included 3 huge based models including the Archangel and Throne which were complex. However this year I started a whole new faction and designed the scheme for it which worked out fairly successful. Plus I painted the power generator pieces from Secret Weapon to match my Cygnar force.

Goals for next year:
1) Get my Cygnar force up to 100 painted models - I really love playing Cygnar, and I have a ton of models I really want to paint. This should be a slam dunk for me.
2) Get caught up on all new Legion releases - I've loved all the new models coming out for Legion, but I've fallen behind due to my Cygnar obsession. Time to get back on the latest releases. If I'm really ambitious, I may also try to paint a unit of Archers or Swordsmen.
3) Play 52 games of Warmachine - I've never set a goal to play a number of games before. This is mostly motivated to keep myself from falling into "It's late and I'm tired" mode and to get out and play more.
4) Attend 1 convention - It may not be Lock&Load, but I'm going to attend 1 convention for sure this year.
5) Not delude myself on other factions - Seriously, no silly goals about closing out models for other factions or games that I'm just not going to be as focused on. Like painting Dreadfleet, or Malifaux, or Protectorate or whatever.

No comments: