Saturday, May 02, 2009

Spawning Vessel

Hooray! I've started painting my Legion models! It was sort of disconcerting to realize that I had more unpainted Legion than painted Trolls. So, given that I only have 2 Protectorate models left to paint, and one is the Avatar which will be a huge project, I decided to switch over for the time being. I painted the Spawning Vessel here because I'm also doing the 4 Shredders at the same time and it seemed a logical combination to work on them together. This model has officially solidified a major portion of my color scheme.

What went well:
* Metals - I feel like I got good contrast on the metals, really making them pop.
* Flesh - He's a little smurfy, but I'm fine with that. I'm trying out some other paints in the process of doing this. I primed in white, then used Liquitex Light Blue as a fairly thick wash, then did some highlighting. After that I hit it with GW Asurmen Blue Wash pretty thick, and then did some further shading using thinned P3 Exile Blue and VMC Black. I also applied a couple quick highlights over the wash with the Liquitex.
* Blood Pool - The red of the blood pool worked out nicely, despite not showing it off well in the picture. I started with Khador Red base, then used the GW Baal Red Wash, then hit it with some focused thick washes of Bloodstone, then Umbral Umber. After that I highlighted back up using a mix of Ryn Flesh and Khador Red, and some final point highlights of Carnal Pink.
* Speed - It didn't take very long at all do to this little guy. I'm probably going to adopt a similar plan as I did with Cryx and focus on getting the army painted to my own tabletop quality standard, focusing more on color scheme and overall army unity instead of individual model quality.

What could have been better:
* Quality - Yeah, the shading is a little rough, but like I said above, that's not the focus.
* Claws/Horns - I'm not sure I like them or not. Time will tell. I used various layers of Jack Bone, MWB, MWH, White, GW Devlun Mud Wash, Armor Wash, and Battlefield Brown. I feel like I got close to the effect that I wanted, but I'm not completely happy with it. The one downside to the GW washes is that they have a tendency to glaze the entire surface in the process since the medium is so thick. It'll take me a while to get used to them. I'm betting I'm going to end up transferring them into droppers.

Well, that's it for now. Back to the 4 Shredders that are currently half done.

No comments: