Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fried Brain Cells

Today the weather is terrible. It's hot and humid, and that means no priming or sealing. Thagrosh is done except for sealing, so he'll have to wait until late tonight. Everything else is in pieces, so I'm going to catch up on assembling some things. As a result, today's post is more a random set of thoughts coming from my painting desk today.
-----
Yesterday I was planning on going to the 500pt SR4 Warmachine/Hordes tournament at my LGS, but during a plasma donation in the morning I nearly fainted. It's the first time I've ever had that problem (and I'm somewhere around 50 donations now) so I figured I'd better take the nice nurse's advice and relax for the rest of the day. So instead of the tournament, I got some good work done on Thagrosh. All things considered it was a bummer to miss the tournament, but trying to stand for 7 hours after doing a blood donation would have been a bad plan.
-----
I'm trying to figure out a good way to convert the Forsaken. The model isn't completely horrible, but to me it looks like some sort of mutant butler or something. It's just not a very interesting pose. I'm probably going to do some conversion work (more than I usually do), but figured I'd review the tournament legal conversion rules:
Privateer Press encourages players to have a fully painted force on the table. Games with fully painted armies are more interesting to watch and generally enhance the play experience for all. Although not required, players should take this chance to show off all aspects of the hobby.

Proxies (substitute models) are not allowed under any circumstances, nor can a player enter a tournament with a model that has not been released to the general public.

All models must be WARMACHINE or HORDES models appropriate to the tournament venue. Conversions (modifications to Privateer Press models) are acceptable as long as they are clearly based on WARMACHINE or HORDES models. Conversions must represent the model from which they are most obviously drawn. For example, a heavily converted Haley model is not a substitute for Sorscha.

Weapon changes are acceptable provided they represent the same type of weapon replaced. For example, trading a sword for a sword is legal. However, mixing and matching warjack weapons is not allowed.

A TO may make exceptions and approve any reasonable conversion. To avoid confusion and conflict, players must have an unaltered version of the model available in case a TO asks to remove a questionable model from play. The TO makes the final call on any particular model.
So here's my initial plan after talking with Jeff at my LGS:
* Use a Nyss Swordsman body
* Use the Forsaken's head, legs, tail, and separate arm
* Find a suitable wing substitute from some random model
-----
I was fooling around more with Kuler the other day and created a swatch of my Legion color scheme. This free resource continues to entertain and inspire me. You can see it here.
-----
Last but not least, I've been trying to find a new way to store my paints. I built a prototype of a paint rack that stores the paints horizontally in sort of a stack. I've been using it for about a week now and so far I'm pretty happy. I'll probably try to upgrade it to something I can mount on the wall, but for now it's a good test of the idea. As you can see from the picture, I also picked up one of the Tool Racks from Miniature Scenery. They just happened to have some at my LGS and I must say the tool rack is very nice. It took me about and hour or so to assemble it and it holds pretty much everything I need to have handy on my desk.
-----
Well, that's enough rambling for today. I'll hopefully be posting pics of Thagrosh tomorrow sometime. Until then may your weather be cooperative and your brush be true, and paint like you have a pair!

2 comments:

Maxus said...

Its hard to see from the model that PP has, but is that left "hand" a wing? It looks like the hands from absylonia, if thats the case, you could take that model for both arms, take the rest of the existing body, give her a bending leg, have it steping up on a stone, the trick then would be finding a head with an open mouth, so it looks like its screaming. but thats just my opinion ;)

Scott said...

It is a wing. He's got a wing for his left arm, and a mutated arm for his right. I was thinking about parts ordering the Absylonia arm but that's pricey for a single part.