Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fire of Salvation

I'm glad to have this one finally finished. It seemed to take forever. There was marvelous detail and opportunity on this model, but it just hit an unfortunate conjunction of busy times for me and took longer than I would have wanted. Plus it didn't help that I took him to the tournament before he was really finished and had to do some repair work afterwards. All things considered though, it wasn't so bad.

What went right:
* Whites went better than I expected. I used more of a dirty earth tone instead of a grey tone.
* Glowing runes turned out nice. I like the effect and it's not too much. It's not very realistic, but I like it.
* Overall color balance worked out fairly well with the exception of how the menofixes in the shoulders seem to blend in too much.

What could have been better:
* General motivation to put more time into it, although I've been trying to limit the amount of time I spend on any one model these days.
* Lack of crispness to the painting seems to be a recent trend for me. I'm not saying I dislike it, but the jury is still out on that one.
* Realistic shading didn't really play out well for me, with several places being lighter when they should be darker.

Well, just a fast update. I've got a backlog of other stuff to deal with before I get back into a normal painting rhythm. KublaCon is just over 3 weeks away and I need to get seriously cranking on a squad entry.

2 comments:

Bloomfield Cricket Club said...

That is absolutely outstanding. How long did it take you overall, and how much did you plan it out before starting

Scott said...

Thanks for the kind words!

I think overall it was probably around 12 to 14 hours of painting.

In terms of planning, I admittedly followed the studio scheme fairly closely but made a handful of specific choices based on my preferences. Things like making the runes stand out a bit more, enhancing the texture of the shoulder plates, and exposing a bit more of a metal look in strategic places to help bring the focus more towards the center of the model. Most of those choices were planned out ahead of time.