Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Holding Models While Painting

It occurred to me the other day when my buddy dropped by for a game that there's alot of people that have asked how to hold models while painting them. Here's my technique for those interested. I always paint seperate from the base now, even waiting until after I seal the model to attach it to the base sometimes. I basically have 2 techniques for holding models while painting. Below is an accompanying picture that illustrates my two techniques.

Pin and cork: If the model is relatively small, I'll put an extra long pin through the foot, prime the model, then stab the pin through a cork. The cork gives me plenty of holding surface and also tends to fit the pin tightly, keeping the model from spinning while holding it.

Base and empty can: For larger models, I'll glue a base to the top of an empy Testor's spray can. The cans are roughly 50mm which is perfect for large bases. Then I use pliers to slightly bend the tab on the bottom of the model to cause it to fit tightly into the base's slot. The can makes for a very handy grip and is large enough to brace both hands together with. In the picture below I cleverly didn't put a model in the slot, but I'm sure you get the idea.


No comments: