Saturday, November 01, 2008

From the Painting Desk: Detail Management

I'm nearing completion on Grim and figured I'd post a picture. The nice thing about doing laundry is there's plenty of excuse to spend the time painting between changing loads. So I've spent the majority of the day painting and made a ton of progress on Grim. After finishing the Vassal, I'm even more in the mood to spend excessive time on a single model working for higher quality. Grim is turning into a great project. Some parts are not so good, but other parts (like the coat) turned out really good I think, although this quick pic from my desk doesn't show it well enough. I used a lot more variation in color tones and achieved an interesting effect.

On a side note, I figured I'd share a tip that I've found handy. When I'm working on a model that has many little details (like Grim), I find that it helps to keep a list of details left to do. Usually I don't start this list until about two thirds of the way toward completion. Often I'll make the list pretty detailed and then scratch them off as I do them. Sometimes as I continue to paint I'll spot other bits that I hadn't written down (hence starting the list at about 2/3 done). Below is an example list for Grim:
  • Goggles Strap
  • Belt Pouch
  • Extra Nets
  • Net Gun
  • Rifle Blade
  • Rifle Scope
  • Rifle Trigger
  • Rifle Runestone
  • Shoe Armor
  • Shoulder Armor
  • Glove Runes
  • Glove Armor
  • Bottle
  • Coat Runestone
  • Backpack Runestone
  • Buckle

No comments: