Thursday, August 20, 2009

Malifaux Round 3: Pandora vs Zoraida

Game 3 panned out to be very entertaining! This time Henry brought the Zoraida box set. We decided to play with scenarios this time as well. Admittedly, this 3+ hour game turned into another huge rules question session, but this time we did manage to play a full and legit game. I haven't decided on a good battle report format for Malifaux yet, especially since I'm still learning the game, so this will be a bunch of random notes.

Zoraida is pretty nasty. The whole voodoo doll thing is pretty crazy since once created it bypasses LOS and range requirements. It became sort of obvious that more terrain is good. That being said, I didn't really feel like Zoraida was completely outrageous. On the first round she took control of Kade from across the table and assassinated one of my Woes, but after that things got much better. I managed to position carefully and avoid further pain.

After playing 3 games now, I'm really enjoying the card mechanic in place of dice. It very much reminds me of the possibility mechanic in the old Torg rpg. It provides a nice opportunity to ensure you can pull off a strategy, or keep something alive. The soulstones are similar in that respect. Last night even though my card draws were not amazing, I found that I was still able to plan effectively.

I'm starting to feel like I'm really getting the hang of Pandora. At first I was a little confused how to really hurt my opponent, but now it's starting to come together. She's really slippery and slowly wears things down, but in combination with Candy and Kade, the whole train can pick up speed quite quickly.

One thing I really like about Malifaux is that terrain and missions are NOT an afterthought. They are an integral part of the game, and it really shows. Most of the time terrain is just there to work around, or let specific model's features shine. And don't get me started on missions. Let me just say that I'm sick of every mission defaulting to Assassinate. Not the case with Malifaux. There's rules for all kinds of extra terrain, and a rich set of missions. Even if your master dies, you can still with the game by mission.

For my own amusement, I'm going to keep track of my cost per game ration for Malifaux, given that my recent foyer into MonPoc came to a screeching halt pretty fast. So far...
Games played: 3
Dollars spent: $106.50
Cost per game: $35.50

No comments: