Saturday, November 06, 2010

Sorceress on Hellion

This model has been a long time coming. It has been sitting on my desk in various states for probably 5 months now. All things considered, it is a pretty daunting model which is part of what kept me from making much progress. Eventually I had to just muscle through it and know that I could always paint a second one if I was unhappy with the results of this one.

What went well:
* The color for the wings worked out pretty decent. I used flesh tones and then washes of purple over that, which gave it a bit more color range than other wings I've done.
* The Sorceress' cloak has a really nice range of colors. It was one of the last parts I did, and by then I was very much in the mood to experiment, so I tried out using sanguine washes over ochre and green bases. I'm pretty happy with the results.

What could have been better:
* The pose drove me bonkers. I think it's part of what kept me from working on it. First I don't like how it's "sitting". Second, the wings don't have a very dynamic look. Combined together, they don't make sense.
* Overall there was something wrong with all of my washes. I'm not sure if it was something about my primer, my environment, or just bad judgment on my part.

In any case, I'm not unhappy with the results, and honestly I'm glad to have it finished. On to work on more beasts.

1 comment:

Viruk said...

Your painting technique fits these beasts perfectly, I really like how they turn out. The look very "fantasy" if you know what I mean. Kind of comic-style look but still a very detailed and neatly done paint job. Also, the bases complete the effect.
The only thing I don't like that much are the black robes - seem a bit too flat (but then it may just be the picture).