Sunday, January 17, 2010

Resurgence Practice Throwdowns

The Resurgence tournament is coming up fast at my LGS (the 30th), so for Henry and I that means lots of practice games. And let me tell you, we're packing in the games. Last Wednesday we got 3 games in, and this afternoon we got 3 more games in. These games are fast and furious, and it's a lovely testing of lists under the new MKII rules. I have to say, I'm incredibly pleased with how the MKII rules shook out. Sure, there's some changes in models that make me sad, but there's plenty of improvements. For Protectorate, things are looking quite sassy indeed. But more importantly than the individual models is the overall rules set. We've taken the opportunity to double check a number of rules and in the vast majority of cases there's no ambiguity in situations.

I'm not going to go into detail of our lists for these games since there were many battles and we are trying to tune for the tournament. However I will say that there have been a number of No Quarter Challenge situations. The battle pictured above was a Goreshade vs Kreoss battle. In this situation Goreshade was just a touch short of taking out Kreoss by using Gorman to blind him and then charging in with full focus and just swinging like a madman.

The Resurgence format is pretty fascinating, and having to build on a list is a very cool feature. The scenario objectives are definitely creating an interesting dynamic to it, and we're finding that aggressive play is definitely favorable. I think that anyone not playing all out and charging to the middle is going to get owned on scenario points pretty fast. There's definitely an advantage to going first as well (obviously).

Overall the Protectorate feels pretty awesome. I'm extremely happy with how the Avatar plays on the table now. The Covenant is pretty much an auto-include now as well. Hopefully I'll remember to snap lots of photos at the Resurgence tournament. I think more important than the tournament is the effect MKII is having on the player base. We've lost a couple players (and in fact a press ganger) due to the rules changes, but there are several people saying they are going to start playing now. I think a lot of that is due to a fresh start to the rules, which are definitely more "newbie" friendly.

No comments: