Wednesday, January 06, 2010

2010 New Year's Resolutions...

[Disclaimer: This post contains fluffy, introspective nonsense.]

Well, it's time again for me to reflect on last year and look forward to this year. Last time I did this I was actually quite shocked at how much I had painted, and set for myself some reasonable (but important) goals for the year.

Last years goals:
  • Close out my unpainted models down to 2 factions at a time - Check! Actually what happened was I closed out all unpainted stuff with the exception of the Avatar and a handful of Wyrd models (which is a separate game). I'm actually pretty happy to be in a place again where I'm buying stuff shortly before painting it.

  • Start a Legion army - Check! Not only did I start a Legion army, I've got over a 1000 points painted and played it in tournaments.

  • Enter KublaCon again with entries I feel even better about than last year - Check! Last year for KublaCon was very exciting for me. I felt very good about my entries (especially eSkarre) and also entered the LGS' painting competition.


  • Models painted last year:
    This year I didn't paint quite as many models as last year. Last year I really hammered through a lot of units which bolstered my numbers. This year I had more focus on single models and especially more time spent on quality. The total comes in at 66. Here's the breakdown:
    Legion: 36
    Menoth: 7
    Trolls: 4
    Cryx: 11
    Malifaux: 7
    Other: 1

    Goals for next year:
    This year may turn out to be a poor year for painting. There's a number of big things queued up in my life that will undoubtedly impact my painting time such as starting a family and a likely work promotion. However, I still feel it's important to set some goals for myself...
    1) Again, focus on a KublaCon painting entry that I am really proud of.
    2) Close out my unpainted Malifaux backlog.
    3) Refine my own "style" of painting. This is a little more vague, but basically I want to spend some time understanding what my "style" is and focus on the strengths and weaknesses of it are.

    Well, that's enough of that nonsense. I've got a few days of vacation left before it's back to the grind, so time to put brush to paint and remember how this painting thing works. Happy New Year to all you fellow painters out there!

    No comments: