Thursday, August 09, 2012

Bloody Barnabas

Finally! A second Gator warlock to play. My whole self-imposed restriction of not playing a Gator model until it's painted is both a blessing and a curse. I'm stoked to put Barnabas on the table now. Not that I hate Calaban. I'm just ready for something different.

This model was, like Wrong Eye, a delight to paint. I was anxious to give him an aggressive look so I opted to paint his coat red. Again I have to say that I really love the look of stitched-together clothes on these models. Gives them a real foothillbilly look.

This model didn't have all four of my theme colors on him (he's missing yellow). I just couldn't quite figure out how to get it in there. There's not quite as much stuff going on here as with other characters so I sort of ran out of options before I realized it.

What went well:
* Red coat worked out well. Makes him look angry!
* The squiggly runes on all his wraps really gives him an arcane look.
* The chitin on his tale came out nicely with good color variation. Really helps reinforce his age (as presented in the fluff).

What could have been better:
* Working yellow in through better planning.
* Better shading/highlighting/weathering on metals to make them pop more.

Well this rounds out the big batch of updates. There's more stuff in the queue but further finished models might be a few days out, particularly due to life events ramping up for a while.

No comments: