Sunday, April 07, 2013

From the Desk: Weekend Roundup #28

Three weeks have passed? Ouch! This is going to be a whirlwind post due to some recent events in my life. For those actually interested, read all the way to the bottom.

First up are the Secret Weapon terrain pieces I finished recently. I'd been working on them very slowly for a couple weeks but I finally got on the brush and finished them a couple days ago. I really enjoyed painting them actually. I used them as an experiment opportunity, combining airbrushing, two-brush-blending, washes, pigments, oil paints, and some alcohol-based paints as well. I think they turned out pretty well actually for fast-painted terrain pieces.

Next is a quick terrain piece that I got from the Gold Rush Rampage tournament. They had these as flag markers. I used this as an opportunity to experiment with the "dot oil filter" technique. The original tutorial that I referenced was this one from Secret Weapon Miniatures, although I'll freely admit that my results are dramatically different due to the texture of the piece I was painting. In any case, it was a fun experiment and I'm looking forward to trying it some more.

Next is the progress on Pendrake. This model has suffered from a poor primer coat that's a bit grainy, but I'm muscling through it. This will be the first model in a long time where I'm painting it attached to it's base rather than separate. Normally I hate to do this, but I figured it would be good practice to do every so often.

And here's the Extreme Carnivean. It's a monster of a model and it's going to take a while. I'm starting with the exposed muscles and trying to get a good bloody/fleshy look to it. My buddy Lance described it as looking like "a sausage factory exploded", so I feel like I'm right on the mark. It still needs a few more coats though to really darken it up to make the blood look more ichor-ish.

And finally is just a little preview picture of an Afflictor being assembled. It's pretty easy to guess at what's going on here.

On a personal note, I was in a car accident this last week. Specifically I was in the middle of a 4 car pile up where the last car slammed a BMW into the back of my Outback which then squashed me into the back of an F150. Fortunately no one was injured, but the guy that hit us all from behind sped away from the scene. What the hell is wrong with people? In any case, I'm a little sore but otherwise unharmed. Mostly I'm just ticked off cause I need to get my car repaired.

No comments: