Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Vayl, Disciple of Everblight

First finished model of the year! I told myself that I wanted to get to a point of having a 1-1-1-1 unpainted system for my Legion army, so this gets me closer. This puts me at 2-0-2-1, so not terribly far off from reaching that. Unfortunately this photo is rather grainy, and I'm not sure why. For this model though, I was issued a challenge by a friend to not use my "crutch" paints for some part of it. So I left out the colors I typically use for Legion flesh: Underbelly Blue, Trollblood Base, and Sanguine Base. It created an interesting color challenge for me to reproduce something close to those colors. It turned out to be easier than I thought. I used combinations of flesh tones and strong blues which worked well, and then added deep red tones to do the shading with.

What worked well:
* Despite the graininess of the photos, I feel like the blending of the cloak worked out quite well. I went with a more yellowish tone that previous Legion models and I like this shade better.
* The basing worked out well. Due to her wide robe I needed to put something wider, which meant adding some elevation. This base is simple but effective.

What could have been better:
* The blending on the flesh isn't so great unfortunately.
* The armor is ok, but I feel like it could have been done a little better. I really struggled with how to improve it but just couldn't fine a solution that I liked.
* I'm going to say that the feathers could have been better, however I really am pretty satisfied with how these turned out. I have yet to find a solution for small feather like this that I like. Only the Shepherd seems to have turned out to my complete satisfaction.

2 comments:

David said...

Very nice work. I particularly like the green tones you used to shade the yellow, the base, and the purple eyes and oraculus. Purple/yellow is a great color combo (and one I've also been enjoying of late).

I did have one bit of constructive criticism, which is that the glow effect from the oraculus doesn't look terribly glowy. To properly convey an object casting colored light on its surroundings, you have to paint the surrounding area as if it's being hit by the same light hitting the rest of the object, and additionally some extra colored light. The result is that the nearby areas need to be lighter than similar areas elsewhere on the mini, and also tinted towards the color of the glow. Your problem (and this problem is extremely common among mini painters attempting OSL) is that you are painting the fingers with a darker shade of purple than your flesh color, so it doesn't look like purple light is hitting the object.

For a good sense of how objects should look when hit by some extra colored light in addition to the usual ambient light, try doing some experiments with colored LEDs. Optical mice can be good sources of light for this experiment.

Scott said...

Thanks for the feedback David! I've been a fan of your work for quite some time, so I appreciate getting comments from you.

Your critique on the OSL is spot on. I was having trouble identifying what was breaking the effect. Now that you point it out, I understand why it felt like it wasn't working. I'll have to try picking up some LEDs to experiment with. Thanks!