Monday, February 20, 2012

Bull Snapper

Well it's about time! Finally the first of my gators is done. This guy had been sitting on my desk for quite some time waiting to be based. Unlike the recent trend, I'm going to do a full write up for this one since it's the first of my gators.

Despite how it may look at first glance, this model is quite a departure for me on a number of fronts. First, I painted the front arc on it. I normally don't like doing this because "it ruins the aesthetic look", or at least that's what I'd told myself. So for these Gators I decided to put that to the test.
Second, this model doesn't have a magnet on the bottom for transport in the metal toolbox. I used a "blank" resin base, and it wasn't exactly an easy option to drill out a spot for the magnet. I could still conceivably do it, but for now I've decided to opt against it. Perhaps once I get further along I'll go back and put one in.
Third, this model is predominantly painted by washes. There was a little 2BB action in there, but very minimal. I've done this before for some of the Cryx I painted, but here I needed to keep the color relatively light to maintain the "albino" effect, so this was a real challenge for me.

What went well:
* Overall I think the albino look works relatively well. The intention is pretty obvious. I'll reserve more about that later though.
* Using this Bull Snapper as a prototype was a good choice. It doesn't have anything else on him really, so the albino look doesn't have contrasting elements. This forced me to keep the colors light. If I'd had other strong elements to the model I could have brought it darker without intending to.

What could have been better:
* Just not quite albino enough. There's a slippery slope here. Adding enough color to make the model readable easily pushes it past what true albino colors look like on a real Alligator.
* The water effect needs just a tiny turquoise tint to it to make it look more swampy. Too late now though since the model is embedded in the resin!
* Some additional thought about the color scheme might have led me to have the back fins/plates be a different color of some kind. That would have introduced a bit of contrast to the model and would have worked with other models. I might still go that route and this model will just be the outlier.

Well, that about wraps up this first Gator. I'd like to point out that this is part of an informal "slow grow" project with my buddies Lance and Henry. Lance has whored his way to Legion, now covering all 4 Hordes factions. And Henry is starting Skorne much to my delight. We're targeting just 15pts to start with. I'll post up picks as we all make progress. And to that end, time to sign off for the evening and get painting!

No comments: