Thursday, December 20, 2012

2012 Wrap Up, and 2013 Resolutions

[Disclaimer: This post contains fluffy, introspective nonsense... Just like last year's did.]

I'm doing this post early since I'm leaving on vacation and won't get any additional painting or modeling done before the new year.

Last year's goals:
1) Enter KublaCon masterclass painting again - Check! Not only did I do this, but I won a bronze.
2) Finish reading my books on color theory - Check! Very much so. I read 6 books on color theory this last year. I can honestly say it was a very valuable learning.
3) Use my airbrush once - Check! Again, very much so. Not only did I use it once, but I used it enough to really like it. I also upgraded to a better airbrush and have used it a few times now.

Models painted last year:
This year sucked for painting quantity. A mere 35 models. 2 of those models were huge based models. I also only painted 1 unit, which was a Gatorman Posse of only 5 models. Compared to last year where I painted multiple units. This year was pretty rough due to work travel as well, where I spent a total of 5 weeks away from home. I'm not super thrilled with my results, but painting 2 huge based models was a new challenge and I definitely learned from that experience, as well as painting multiple models to competition quality. There was also a side project of painting bases for Secret Weapon that was snuck in there and I didn't count that in the blow.
Minions: 18
Legion: 8
Protectorate: 4
Cygnar: 2
Mercs: 2
Cryx: 1

Goals for next year:
1) Attend Lock & Load. This one is pretty straightforward. I've already registered for it. I want to get as much out of the experience as I can. This includes attending painting classes, entering the painting competition, and playing a ton of Iron Arena.
2) Get my Croxorz collect up to a "completed" status. This one is a little more fuzzy since it depends on what new stuff comes out for the gators, but at the minimum I'd like to add Pendrake, Bone Grinders and a second Gatorman Posse, in addition to the new Bogtrog warlock.
3) Expand my airbrush skills. This is a little harder to quantify, but I want to use the airbrush to do more than just controlled base coating. The Judicator should make a great first project for this since it will require masking and shading and some mixing.

I'm sorely tempted to add another goal here, but I want to stay focused. These goals give me a mix of fun, skill growth, and painting targets. Hopefully 2013 will be a bigger year for painting than 2012 was.

No comments: