Monday, January 12, 2015

Battle Report: Sturgis vs eXerxis

Game #1 of the year!

In prep for the 35pt "rotten tomatoes" tournament at my LGS at the end of the month, I'm attempting to get a little practice in with Sturgis to see if I can make him work. The game last night made me feel pretty good about him.

My list: Sturgis, Stormwall, Squire, Stormblades (6+UA+3WA), Stormblade Captain, Journeyman, Gun Mage Captain Adept, Tarin.
The theory here is that Sturgis keeps his Arcane Shield on the Stormwall all game, and then Sturgis and the Journeyman bounce back and for between Snipe and Arcane Shield on the Stormblades as they activate. This gives them effectively RNG 10 attacks (and RNG 16 for the WA's) on their activations, and then ARM 18 on my opponent's turn. Tarin and the GMCA are there to pick off annoying solos, and Tarin of course also helps eliminate LOS problems for the Stormwall.

The game: My opponent fielded eXerxis, Karn, Krea, Brute, Reptile Hound, Venators (6), Beast Handlers (4), Thrulg and Saxon.

The game was a little wild. We played the SR2014 3-flags scenario. Karn took down the Arcane Shielded Stormwall in a single activation while affected by Ignite, Enrage, and X2's feat. After that I scrambled to not lose on scenario by putting Arcane Shield on Sturgis (via the Journeyman) and Stugis camped his focus after teleporting onto the far flag. From there it was just an attrition grind with the Stormblades managing to whittle down my opponent. In the end Sturgis continuing to camp focus and sit at ARM 24 was just insurmountable for either Xerxis or Karn.

No comments: